Position Title: Finance Controller
Location: Jos, Nigeria
Reports to: US Site Director for Nigeria, Nigeria Site Director
Works closely with: Works closely with Nigeria staff, US Operations Director, and US Finance Controller
Position summary: The controller position is accountable for the accounting operations of the ministry, to include the production of monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles or international financial reporting standards.
- Knows at all times where the financial resources of the ministry are, by knowing what came in, what is currently out to staff, and what has been spent.
- Enters receipts and sign-outs at least once a month in a way that is traceable to ensure correct balances of all accounts.
- Reports to Site Director what these balances are and ensures that the Site Director receives a monthly report of the Balance of Accounts.
- Receives requests from staff for resources. Knows whether the money they are requesting is approved, or seeks approval with staff member requesting resources from Site Director. Processes request and gets staff sign-out with the money requested.
- Communicates with staff on a monthly basis to get back from them sign-outs from previous month.
- Ensures that money is being spent in the way that it was intended by auditing receipts as needed.
- Assists Site Director in coming up with annual budget numbers.
- Works alongside legal and financial experts to ensure compliance with all local laws and requirements, as well as with internal systems.
- Tracks specific donations and expenses to ensure that resources are being spent as requested by donors.
- Creates solid systems and procedures for the ministry finances, and ensures all staff know any pertinent changes to these systems and procedures as needed.
- Receives reports from the US home office and creates monthly transfer allocation sheet.
- Coordinates with US home office in financial matters.
- Enters monthly allocation sheet into the financial system.
- Communicates income to staff as needed.
- Ensures payment of all ministry bills.
- Prepares payments for and pays national staff in a timely manner.
- Creates financial reports as requested by Site Director.
- Develop and maintain a team of ministry partners that fully fund the position.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required education and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration.
- 5+ years of progressively responsible experience in a similarly-sized and/or geographically dispersed non-profit.
- Preference will be given to candidates with the Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designations.
Required skills and abilities:
- Have a clear understanding of and commitment to Back2Back’s mission and vision.
- Adhere to and share the Back2Back Statement of Faith, Cultural Values, and Standards of a Staff Member.
- Operate with basic competency in Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Sheets.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Access, working knowledge of all other Microsoft Office products.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Self-directed and self-motivated.
- Impeccable ethics, integrity and accountability.
- Commitment to quality and attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task and deal with frequent change or unexpected events.
- Honest, mature, loyal and dependable.
This job description is intended to convey essential information about the scope and requirements of the position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, duties or responsibilities associated with the role. Staff may be assigned tasks other than those specifically listed in this description in order to further the goals of the role or of the organization.
Back2Back Ministries is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people, and vulnerable adults as outlined in the Back2Back Safeguarding Policy. We recognize the effectiveness of safe recruitment and are committed to recruiting candidates who share this commitment to safeguarding.