Impact of Trauma on Orphans and Vulnerable Children
Orphans and vulnerable children have experienced traumatic events in their lives, such as abandonment, loss, abuse and neglect. These forms of trauma have the potential to impact every developmental area of a growing child. It can change a child at the core of who they are, impacting how they communicate, attach and behave. Due to past trauma, orphans and vulnerable children have unique needs requiring intentional caregiving strategies.
Why Trauma-Competent Care?
The premise of trauma-competent care is based on the understanding that trauma impacts neurological functioning. This impacts children’s overall development in several areas, such as expressive language and the ability to calm themselves and manage their different feelings. Children need more than a “time heals all wounds” approach to promote healing and restoration.
• Trauma alters brain chemistry.
• Trauma damages the nervous system.
• Trauma impacts the body’s ability to handle stress.
• Traumatized children display changes in their levels of stress hormones similar to those seen in combat veterans.
• Because of past repeated trauma, the children we serve remain on “red alert” and do not often live in an internally calm state, but rather in high alert or fear.
• Because the children tend to be on constant alert, they can be quick to react to threats through flight, fight or freeze (shutting down).
We offer trainings on the following:
“Becoming a Trauma Competent Caregiver”
A 3-day in-depth training session to increase competency and sensitivity in caring for children with a traumatic history.
This training will give you tools to help children in your care heal from past trauma while also giving you insight into meaning behind the behavior of traumatized children.Upon completion of the training, participants will:
1. Understand the goals of child welfare.
2. Understand the essential skills of trauma competent care.
3. Understand the potential lifetime impact of trauma on development.
4. Recognize how childhood traumatic stress is exacerbated by ongoing stressors in a child’s life.
5. Identify coping responses, strengths and protective factors that promote positive adjustment among traumatized children.
6. Identify new strategies, techniques and skills to manage children with a traumatic history.
7. Identify strategies to promote their own self-care.
“Back2Back Affiliate Trainer”
- Back2Back Ministries places a high value on sharing trauma-competent caregiving training with other like-minded agencies, organizations and/or ministries.If you are interested in training others to become a trauma competent caregiver trainer, you would need to complete the following steps to become a Back2Back Ministries’ Affiliate Trainer:
1. Attend a Back2Back Ministries-sponsored Training of Trainers 3-day workshop.
2. Successfully present a portion of an assigned module during the Training of Trainers 3-day workshop.
3. Complete a written survey to insure familiarity of the training materials. This survey consists of 45 questions, 5 per module.
4. Consult with Back2Back Ministries on your training activity. Agree to stay in communication with Back2Back Ministries on a quarterly basis to update on your training activities and to share stories with us.
- Moving from being consciously compassionate to competently compassionate is the heartbeat of the Trauma Competent Caregiver training curriculum. This nine module training series, evidenced-based and rooted in a biblical foundation, is designed to equip those involved in caring for orphaned and vulnerable children with the knowledge and skills God uses to help wounded children heal and grow into what they were created to be. During this workshop, you will hear from internationally recognized experts in trauma informed care, will receive all training materials necessary to use the curriculum in your own setting, and will receive plans for follow-up and support to help you be successful. This workshop has been successfully trained in over 25 countries and is available in English, Spanish, French, Romanian, and Korean.
“Unlocking the Dynamic Connection between Emotional and Spiritual Health”
- So often emphasis is placed on spiritual maturity while ignoring the emotional component. During this interactive gathering we will discuss the powerful synergy that can be released and experienced when spiritual maturity and emotional health work together. Participants will leave with new understanding and practical application on their journey to wholeness and healing.
Interested in Hosting a Training?
Back2Back Ministries places a high value on sharing trauma-competent caregiving training with other like-minded agencies, organizations and/or ministries. We ask that hosts cover the costs of travel/lodging and trainer time. The trainer fee is $2,000 and is due 30 days in advance of the training date. If this fee presents a financial burden, please request an application for financial scholarship. Due to increasing demand, we will prioritize requests that maximize the benefit to orphaned and vulnerable children.
If you are interested in hosting a training, please complete this form.
Deepening the Well Newsletter:
Deepening the Well is the Back2Back Ministries Child Development newsletter to support you on your journey to becoming a Trauma Competent Caregiver. In it you will receive follow-up in the form of a review of key principles as well as articles on important subjects for caregivers/parents. Click here to receive this free bi-monthly newsletter delivered to your inbox.
If you already subscribe to the Deepening the Well Newsletter and you have a question you’d like to see answered, a topic suggestion, or an article to submit, click here.