November 4th is Orphan Sunday, a day created by the Christian Alliance for Orphans to honor the 163 million orphans in the world. Below are a few thoughts from the Christian Alliance for Orphans. For more information and resources, visit the Orphan Sunday website.
Back2Back supports the Christian Alliance for Orphans in a shared passion for caring for orphans. The Christian Alliance for Orphans unites orphan-serving organizations and churches to ignite passion and build excellence for Christ-honoring orphan care, foster youth and adoption ministry.
Ten Ways to Care for the Orphan and Waiting Child
1. PRAY for them
– Tape a waiting child’s picture to your dashboard and pray for the child every time you’re in a car. Visit AdoptUsKids.org or RainbowKids.com. Organize an evening prayer vigil at your church and pray for children in foster care or an orphanage overseas. To join Back2Back’s prayer mailing list and stay updated on prayer needs of the orphans we serve, email email@example.com.
2. SPEAK UP for them
-Carry a waiting child’s picture and show it to other believers. Ask if they, or someone they know, would give this child a home. Become a court appointed special advocate for a child in foster care. Visit NationalCASA.org for details.
3. PROVIDE for their needs
-Give sacrificially to a reputable orphanage. Financial gifts can be designated for specific items and aid needed by orphans.
4. SUPPORT those who support them
– Offer to do yard work, baby sit, or organize meals for a week for foster parents. Pray with them and tell them you appreciate what they do. Encourage a family adopting an older child by hosting a shower for them. Partner with an orphan care organization or ministry.
5. PROTECT them from harm
-Become a foster parent or emergency foster parent. Raise money to build a children’s home to help remove children from the streets. Support an existing children’s home. Contact Back2Back Ministries to find out how you can help (513-754-0300 or www.back2back.org).
6. VISIT them where they are
-Go on a mission trip to an orphanage as an individual or family. Support reputable orphan care organizations on a regular basis. Visit https://b2bclone.wpengine.com/get-involved/mission-trips/mission-trip-overview/ for more information.
7. GIVE sacrificially to them
-Contribute generously to an adoptive family to help offset their costs. Visit ShaohannahsHope.org or LifeSongForOrphans.org.
8. ENCOURAGE them to press on
– Sponsor a child, support them financially, and encourage them through your letters. Visit https://b2bclone.wpengine.com/get-involved/sponsorships/child-sponsorship/ if you are interested in sponsoring one of the children that we serve. Become a mentor or tutor to a teenager in a foster group-home.
9. ADOPT them into your family
-Give a child a home through international, domestic, or foster care adoption. Adopt a young adult who has aged out of the system.
10. MOBILIZE your church for them
-Be a catalyst in your church for starting partnering in the orphan care cause. Visit https://b2bclone.wpengine.com/get-involved/advocate/church-partnerships/ for more details. Organize a church mission trip to serve at an orphanage. Visit https://b2bclone.wpengine.com/get-involved/mission-trips/mission-trip-overview/ for more information.