Position Title: Back2Back India Primary School Teacher (including STINT)
Location: Hyderabad, India
Reports to: India General Manager
Works closely with: India Site Staff
India is in a crisis of epic proportions.
Today in India, the truth is that more than 50% of students in Grade 5 cannot read a Grade 2 text or solve a simple subtraction problem. The truth today in India, is the socio-economic circumstances that a child is born into determines the type of school she attends, the kinds of co-curricular opportunities that are available to her, the quality of life outcomes she attains as an adult, and the kinds of opportunities she passes on to her own children.
It is this crisis and the opportunity to be part of the solution that compelled us to build an early education center and primary school that will serve poor children living in 5 villages that surround our campus in rural Hyderabad.
Working in a cross-cultural environment, you’ll have the privilege of introducing teaching strategies that show children how much fun learning can be, develop their critical thinking and cognitive abilities, and set them up for a lifetime of greater opportunities.
Our school building will be completed in 2019 but our goal is to begin our program in June, 2020 but with an effort to launch an Early Education and Feeding Program as early as possible. In addition, we foresee opportunities to invest into teachers from neighboring schools with fewer resources through periodic training.
THIS IS AN AMAZING OPPORTUNITY — AND WE NEED MANY TO ANSWER THE CALL!
STINT is short for “short term international trip.” Each STINTER must make a 12-18 month commitment to serve with Back2Back.
- Set up a classroom in an age-appropriate fashion and as needed.
- Create a needs list for curriculum, school supplies, and school resources and communicate those needs to the Campus Captain.
- Develops lesson plans that complement or augment the material being covered at established government-recognized schools, and teacher-identified areas requiring strengthening.
- Executes these lesson plans in an effective way with the students in their care
- Adjust style of teaching based on the needs of the children.
- Assign age-appropriate homework to children (or assists children with any school assigned homework)
- Works to ensure the school is in good working order and reports any issues to the Campus Facilities Captain.
- Ensures the physical security of the school and school resources by ensuring supplies and movable equipment are put away and locked at the end of each day when not in use.
- Meets with parents of children as directed by Campus Captain
- Follow the same calendar as the students, June-April.
Required education and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in early childhood education, primary education or other applicable field of study
Required skills and abilities:
- Have a clear understanding of and commitment to Back2Back’s mission and vision.
- Adhere to and share the Back2Back Statement of Faith, Cultural Values, and Standards of a Staff Member.
- Operate with basic competency in Microsoft Office and Google Applications.
- Proven ability to teach children.
- Strong verbal and written communication in English
- Humble and self-aware of a cultural lens and how it can distort views and limit relational benefit.
- Organizational Skills
- Teach multiple grades
- Implement additional material and/or study to support curriculum objectives
- Record regularly reported grades and parent conferences
- Maintain classroom management
- Plan for quarterly instruction units with measurable outcomes per grade level
This job description is intended to convey essential information about the scope and requirements of the position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, duties or responsibilities associated with the role. Staff may be assigned tasks other than those specifically listed in this description in order to further the goals of the role or of the organization.