Position: Financial Controller
Location: Back2Back Haiti Site in Port-au-Prince
Primary Relationships: Reports to Haiti Site Director. Works closely with Haiti Site Staff, US Haiti Director, US Operations Director, and US Financial Controller.
Position Description: The controller position is accountable for the accounting operations of the ministry, to include the production of monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles or international financial reporting standards.
- Knows at all times where the financial resources of the ministry are, by knowing what came in, what is currently out to staff, and what has been spent.
- Enters receipts and sign-outs at least once a month in a way that is traceable to ensure correct balances of all accounts.
- Reports to Site Director what these balances are and ensures that the Site Director receives a monthly report of the Balance of Accounts.
- Receives requests from staff for resources. Knows whether the money they are requesting is approved, or seeks approval with staff member requesting resource from Site Director. Processes request and gets staff sign-out with the money requested.
- Communicates with staff on a monthly basis to get back from them sign-outs from previous month.
- Ensures that money is being spent in the way that it was intended by auditing receipts as needed.
- Assists Site Director in coming up with annual budget numbers.
- Works alongside legal and financial experts to ensure compliance with all local laws and requirements, as well as with internal systems.
- Tracks specific donations and expenses to ensure that resources are being spent as requested by donor.
- Creates solid systems and procedures for the ministry finances, and ensures all staff know any pertinent changes to these systems and procedures as needed.
- Receives reports from the US home office and creates monthly transfer allocation sheet.
- Coordinates with US home office in financial matters.
- Enters monthly allocation sheet into the financial system.
- Communicates income to staff as needed.;
- Ensures payment of all ministry bills.;
- Prepares payments for and pays national staff in a timely manner.
- Creates financial reports as requested by Site Director.
- Develop and maintain a team of ministry partners that fully fund the position.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Access, working knowledge of all other Office products.
- Adhere to and share the Back2Back Statement of Faith.
- Self-directed and self-motivated.
- Impeccable ethics, integrity and accountability.
- Commitment to quality and attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task and deal with frequent change or unexpected events.
- Honest, mature, loyal and dependable.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration.
- 5+ years of progressively responsible experience in a similarly-sized and/or geographically dispersed non-profit.
- Preference will be given to candidates with the Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designations.